Private or personal liability companies that are required to be audited by the Companies’ Act 2008, or Regulation 28, these companies must file a copy of the latest approved Audited Financial Statements on the date that they file their annual return with the CIPC.
The following private companies are required to have their annual financial statements audited:
- Any private or personal liability company if, in the ordinary course of its primary activities, it holds assets in a fiduciary capacity for persons who are not related to the company, and the aggregate value of such assets held at any time during the financial year exceeds R5 million;
- Any private or personal liability company that compiles its financial statements internally (for example, by its financial director or one of the owners) and that has a Public Interest Score (PIS) of 100 or more;
- Any private or personal liability company that has its financial statements compiled by an independent party (such as an external accountant) and that has a Public Interest Score (PIS) of 350 or more;
Unless the company has opted to have its annual financial statements audited or is required by its Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) to do so, a private or personal liability company that is not managed by its owners may be subject to independent review if:
- It compiles its financial statements internally and its Public Interest Score is less than 100;
- It has its financial statements compiled independently at its Public Interest Score is between 100 and 349;
Private or personal liability companies that are not required to have their financial statements audited, may elect to voluntarily file their audited or reviewed statements with their annual returns. If such companies choose not to file a full set of financial statements, they must file a financial accountability supplement with their annual return.
How to file your annual financial statements
- Either Financial Accountability Supplements (FASs) or Annual Financial Statements (AFSs) should be filed via the e-services portal:https://eservices.cipc.co.za/ together with Annual Returns (ARs).